Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Different Father's Day

I woke up this morning and finished watching my recorded episode of "The Talk" from yesterday. I was eager to finish this episode as they were surprising a military family with a very special gift. Their husband/father for Father's Day. He was stationed overseas in Iraq for at least 7 months. This was the first Father's Day they have been apart. The surprise was amazing for the family, and for myself watching I felt happy for this family. I also wished that I could somehow do that for Kailey and Natalie but I can't. For now, Skype is their only connection to Tom.

I asked both girls how they felt about Daddy missing Father's Day this year. They both said they were sad but they said it's not so bad because they see him on the computer. I've never been one to be thankful for technology because of all the flaws it seems to have, but this I am thankful for.

I found myself thinking about the past ten years of my life with Tom. In July we will celebrate our ten year anniversary....but he will not be here to celebrate with me. Ten years is a milestone. We have been through so much since we met in 2001. Our lives have grown, our family has grown, and God has given us so much to be thankful for. I always tell God that he gave me an amazing blessing with Tom and the girls. Ten years in the military hasn't been easy for any of us. Tom has to go when they say "go" and we have to tackles problems at home without him. Sometimes I am mad at him for leaving us but I know it's not his decision. Tom was already in the Air Force when I met him, and I knew some of the things I was getting into by having a brother in the Army, but you are never prepared. Long shifts, no paternity leave when Natalie was born (and having a 1 year old toddler with a newborn is no picnic), missing school functions, and shifts that change so much it makes your head spin. Although it isn't always easy, I have seen the world with Tom because of his career in the Air Force. I chose to be his wife because he asked me and because I couldn't imagine one day without him in my life. He makes me laugh and brings me so much joy. Part of being a military wife is living life without the man you love for a short time. But knowing he is doing it because he loves us and he loves his country. Nine more years of being a military wife and I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to his retiring. But until then I will stand by him, do my part by raising our kids, and supporting him even when times are tough....like Father's Day and our anniversary.

Even though my husband isn't here on this special day, my heavenly father is here and we are not alone. His presence is constant.

1 comment:

Crazy family of 5 said...

Keep your head up, it will be over before you know it. It seems like eternity but you will make it through!