Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Tough Choice

I'm sad today. We have had a border collie named Macy for a little over a year and in that time she has brought so much joy to our lives. However, we have had to make a tough choice. About a month ago Macy and our Schnauzer Dante were playing when Macy began to play too rough and she hurt Dante. We had to take him to an Emergency Vet. We realized then that while Macy would never hurt the girls, how could we be 100% sure? Also, what if Macy hurt Dante again?

I did research about Border Collie behavior and I learned that if a BC doesn't have a "job" or some kind of work they can become destructive. Macy is kenneled at least 8 hours a day while we work and it's not fair to her. She deserves to be in the environment she was created to be in.

I began looking for such an environment. I spoke to a man who owns a sheep ranch in Caldwell and he offered some good advice. For a few weeks, nothing. Then a couple of days ago at my work, I met a family that has a ranch outside of Caldwell. They have cattle and six Border Collie's that help herd the cattle. I asked if they needed another dog, and they said no. But they would keep us in mind. The next day, I got a phone call from the family offering to take Macy and give her a good home and also allow her to herd with the others.

I struggled to say yes, but in my heart I knew that this was an answer to prayer. She will be in her element. Her environment.

So, this morning we are all driving Macy to her new home and actually I have a peace about this. I feel a weight lifted somehow. I think for the past few months I have felt guilty about her not having the lifestyle she needs because of her breed. Now, she can live a better life and I'm doing this because I love her.

She protected us for a year and gave us so much love in return. Some of you may not look at dogs as members of the family, but I do. She is very special to me, but I know that this is the right thing to do.

To change the subject, my sinuses have caused a lot of problems. I have been sick with sinus infections for a very long time and most of the time I lose half my voice or have coughing fits that hurt. I have been on antibiotics but they keep coming back. So for now, I will do what I can until my appointment next month. I have had to take a break from Praise Choir for now, which is something I love to do and so that was a hard decision to make. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

This week has been a week of tough choices. Sometimes we have to make them and pray that we are doing the right thing.

Julia

2 comments:

Crazy family of 5 said...

I am so sorry about your dog. WE have had 3 animals go to heaven on this last year. Any choice we make with our family is hard! We got the kids a Border Collie mix for Christmas. She has been pretty well. I am home all day with her and the kids love her up. Sorry your situation didn't work out.

Hope you sinus stuff goes away soon too. We have all been battling it. I get it really bad to where I can't touch my ear at ALL!!

Christian and Alysia Perry said...

Julia,

Can you email me Brittany's email address?