Thursday, September 12, 2013

Fall

Fall is one of our family's favorite seasons!  Kailey is a huge fan of fall due to her October birthday and pumpkins.  She has been a fan of pumpkins since she was a toddler.  I'll never forget when we took her and Natalie to their first pumpkin patch.  Although, at that time Kailey had trouble saying "pumpkin patch", so it came out as "punt da patch."  Ah, memories :)  Tom and I decided to put our time to good use the other day and explore the Christmas Tree Shop in Brick.  It's a wonderful store that is reasonably priced, and huge!  You can find anything from home decorations, candles, picture frames, furniture, and even food!  We love this store, but at the same time I'm thankful it's thirty minutes from our house so we aren't tempted to go there and spend money all the time :)  The store rotates their inventory frequently so every time we go there is always something new.  This week, we purchased some fall decorations, which are posted below.  Like I said, we love fall and love to decorate the house.  As I sit here looking at all the different pumpkins we have in the house, I think that when Kailey and Natalie leave the nest (which is a looooooooooong time from now thankfully) we need to send them with a care package of decorative pumpkins for their home!

Soccer is also in full swing.  We have games every weekend and practices three nights a week.  Two of the practices the team works with a trainer.  I've been told that most of the soccer teams these days hire a trainer.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  One, we pay a fee up front at registration for both kids, and the trainer is extra.  They split the fee up with all the players on the team, but we have two so it's double for us.  The parents don't have a say so in the hiring of a trainer.  Two, it's an extra night of practice for them and with school it is slowly becoming too much.  Kailey and Natalie love soccer and are having a great time.  So for now, we will enjoy it and do the best we can. 

I'm hunting for a good pumpkin bread recipe.  I've never made pumpkin bread so I want to pick a good one.  Of course, I won't know if it's superb until I taste it, but sometimes you tell how good a recipe will be from the ingredients.  I've always made blueberry bread and my family loves it.  Hopefully they will feel the same about pumpkin bread. 

I'm off to finish laundry and search for a recipe.  I'm hoping for some cool fall weather to go along with my baking and decorating.  Lately it's been humid and hot again :(  Enjoy the pictures!

 
I highly recommend this book!  I love how each page includes Bible verses to go along with the story. 


 
Some of our fall decorations from The Christmas Tree Shop. 

 
Gotta love the monogram pumpkin!



 
Kailey and Natalie warming up for their soccer game last weekend.

 
 
Another purchase from The Christmas Tree Shop.  Yankee Candle's can be pricey, but at this store they were so much cheaper.  This by far is my favorite fall scent :) 


 
I just had to include past pumpkin patch photo's!  Kailey was two in this picture and had so much fun picking out her pumpkin.

 
I'm not quite sure what Kailey is thinking about here :)  This was the last pumpkin patch in England before we moved back to the US.

 
I loved this picture of Kailey so much that I framed it. 

 
Kailey and Natalie love to paint the pumpkins as well!

1 comment:

Christian and Alysia Perry said...

I am so excited fall is here too! Our pumpkins didn't do as well as we hoped but we will make do with what we have.

Here is a pumpkin bread recipe I've been using for a few years that is yummy! I think 1 can of pumpkin puree can be substituted for pie pumpkin puree if you don't have a pumpkin to spare.

Ingredients:
puree from one pie pumpkin
4 eggs
1c. applesauce
2/3c. water
3c. sugar
3 1/2c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (I have written 3 loaf pans but that seems like a lot).
In a large mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, applesauce, water, and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into loaf pans. Bake for about 50 mins or until cake tester comes out clean. Enjoy!