It's hard to let go of things we can't change. For me, being diagnosed with RA and Lupus turned my world inside out. I was relieved to find out what was wrong with me. After months of being so tired that I couldn't think straight, or stay awake during the girl's homework, I had an answer. I remember driving home from my appointment back in January. I was on the Garden State parkway, or the Indy Speedway as I like to call it, and I was upset but I was trying to focus on driving. A song came on the radio that I've heard before, but really didn't hit home until that day. The song is "What I Cannot Change" by LeAnn Rimes. The chorus contains words that I say almost everyday. "I will learn to let go of what I cannot change...I will learn to forgive what I cannot change....I will learn to love what I cannot change...and I will change whatever I can..."
In life, we are dealt with blows that can change us in ways we never thought. My life did change, but not completely. I had to sit down and re-group. Once I realized that I really only needed to change my exercise routine, diet, and length of time I spend in the sun, I thought "ok, I can do this" and although I am still trying to figure this all out, I am doing very well. I had already signed up for college courses, so I went ahead with my plans and started the semester. I chose not to let the diseases control my life. I am learning new ways to live with Lupus and RA and the best part about this whole thing...God's plans have not changed for me. He still has amazing plans for me no matter what happens to my health.
When I hear the song I realize that there are so many things that I have absolutely no control over and that's ok. I will do my best to change the things I can change. Making better choices for my health and life has been a big help in managing the diseases. I know that whatever happens next I can handle it, because I have an amazing God who loves me and provides the strength. I also have an amazing support system from family and friends. It's like I have my own team cheering for me, and that's a good feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment