I had an amazing thought this past week. A thought that would change my perspective of how I live my life.
We are having an amazing time in Colorado. We had a blast visiting my family and this past week has been awesome as well with Tom's family. My sister-in-law, Dawn, is an amazing woman. And this blog is about her.
Dawn was diagnsed with Cone-rod dystrophy in her twenties. She is legally blind, or preferably visually impaired. I personally like visually impaired. Anyway, she can see some objects and color but not much. I can be standing in front of her, only a few inches away and she will not know it's me unless I tell her. She can make out my eyes, some colors of my clothing (a yellow shirt may look green), and if my hair is down or up in a clip. But mostly, it's blurred or nothing at all.
When I first met Dawn, Tom and I had been married a few months. You would not know she was visually impaired by talking to her because all the damage is behind the eye in the retina. I remember asking Tom why she didn't have a cane or a seeing eye dog. He wasn't sure. People would help her by telling her that a step was in front of her etc. To me, she was in a shell almost with her disability. Years later I would tell her that I thought this, and she would tell me I was right.
She was very much in the dark and I don't mean because of her impairment. I will not go into detail because I feel that is not my place. But she came out of it with the power of the Lord. Dawn is a Christian. A sister in Christ. Loves the Lord with everything she has! Loves to praise and worship our Savior and she is a blessing to everyone around her. THAT is how she got through that rough time.
A few years ago, Dawn was blessed with an amazing friend. Hanna, her seeing eye dog. A beautiful black cross (mom was a golden retriever and dad was lab) who is very loving but when it's time to work....she works. More on this gorgeous creature later.
A few nights ago, I asked Dawn to think of a test or a lesson for me. I wanted to put myself in her shoes. I wanted to be visually impaired. Not just walk to the mailbox either. Something that was hard for her to learn. Dawn told me the story of her cooking experience at the blind school she attended. She had to make Chicken Cutlet Parm. I hope I got that right. She didn't know how to tell if chicken was cooked, and she learned that you have to listen to the chicken. Rely on your other senses. She had me close my eyes and show me how to tell if water was boiling. Hold the sides of the pot handles. She had me cut squash. I was terrified. I was blinded. I held the squash in my hands and began to cut. Dawn stopped me and instructed me to feel the squash and where it was compared to the knife, and that's how you can tell how thick or thin to cut it. And always hold your other hand on top of the knife. No cuts :) Then I put the squash in some foil. And then, I had to find the butter in the fridge. I was knocking stuff over and I was feeling for the butter on every shelf but I couldn't find it. I started getting frustrated. Seriously I was mad. Why was this so hard? Dawn was right behind me coaching me through it. And she understood. But I finally found it! Then, I got out a spoon and placed it on the counter but turned around to do something else. When I was ready for the spoon I couldn't find it! After feeling around on the counter for it, I was able to finish the squash. This process took about 20 minutes. When I prepare squash for the grill at home....with my eyes...5 - 10 minutes.
So after that test was over, Dawn explained that she is very organized with her stuff. She has a system. Before she learned all of this she was a wreck. But today she is amazing! She amazes me. Watching her make coffee is unreal. From grinding the beans to filling her cup. Oh, yeah I did try to fill my cup with ice tea blinded. I spilled! She's amazing.
Back to Hanna. Dawn loves Hanna. Her whole family does. Hanna is a member of their family. Dawn has truly bonded with Hanna. She is her eyes. This evening, Dawn took me on their evening walk. A 2 1/2 mile walk that was exhausting but worth it! Outside, Dawn put the harness in front of Hanna. Hanna put her head down so Dawn could place it on her. At this point of the walk, I am not allowed to look at Hanna in the eyes, talk to her, pet her and Dawn instructed me to stand to her right side and a little bit behind her. Dawn gave the command "forward" and we were off. Hanna walks fast and I forgot to put my walking shoes on so I was in flip flops. Yikes! Anyway, if Hanna becomes distracted Dawn gives the command "leave it" and "pfui" which means to stop; she will continue the walk.
To cross the street, Hanna stops and when it's safe to go we cross. Hanna does not like the sprinklers so she leads Dawn (and I follow) into the street, if it's safe, so she doesn't get wet :) To lead Dawn up a curb, she puts her first two paws on it then stops and we continue. Some of our walk involved tree limbs sticking out that Dawn would not be able to see. Hanna guides Dawn to the right to avoid the branches or slows down to warn her. Hanna mostly walked on the left.
Dawn instructed me to never correct Hanna. That was her job. While we were walking, a couple was walking towards us and rather than moving to the side, they kept heading straight for Dawn and Hanna. I saw this coming but I was told to keep quiet. Hanna didn't move either but she did slow down and Dawn picked up on the signal and at the last second the couple moved. My instinct was to prepare Dawn that someone was in front of her...but Hanna is in charge on this walk!
Dawn trusts Hanna. Throughout the walk she shared with me the stories of their past walks. I was amazed. Speechless at the intelligance of this dog! Hanna led Dawn home when she was lost. Hanna is a professional. Praise is her payment. Dawn constantly praised her for a job well done. And once we were back in the house and she was done working, I was able to praise her too :)
Right now, Hanna is sitting on the floor relaxing. It's amazing how smart she is. She was trained as a puppy to be a seeing eye dog. She is a $50,000 dog because of her training. Wonderful people donate to this cause and because of them, my sister-in-law can take long walks by herself and not live in fear. Her sight no longer keeps her from living, because Hanna helps her get out and live.
Dawn refuses to let her impairment control her. She lives her life. She praises the Lord everyday for her blessings and even in her storms she praises him. She was told that she would completely lose her sight. But she believes that if the Lord wants her to see, she will see. She has seen a rainbow and a hot air balloon. She had never been able to see these before! How awesome is our God?
All I can say is that I truly admire my sister-in-law. I love her. She is amazing. She lives her life. And her family loves her so much!
Julia
1 comment:
Julia that is a very touching story of your Sister in law. I am amazed also, how wonderful these dogs are! Dawn is a great inspiration!!
Post a Comment