Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Diabetic Gene

My Mom has been hospitalized for high blood sugar and pancreatitis. Her bs levels were 500 and that is not good. She will have to be on insulin for a while to bring it down. This explains the attacks she has had lately, which is the pancreatitis. She has always been border line diabetic but I think this has put her into type 2. Of course if she has to take insulin permanently she will be type 1.

This has been a wake up call for our family. I have spent the past six months trying to eat better and exercise and I have slipped so many times. But I can't anymore. I have the diabetic gene from both my Mom and Dad and I too am already fighting high blood sugar.

I plan to do some research on diabetic eating and living. Changing our eating completely. Tom and I plus the girls are members of a Christian gym in Kuna called Freedom Fitness. It's an awesome place to workout. They play Christian music and the owner is an amazing guy. His family is devoted to helping other families get fit. They have a daycare in the gym so we are able to work out as a family now.

I would like to throw a challenge out to the readers of this. Let's get not only our bodies in shape and healthy so we can live a better life but let's do it so that we can be the men and women God called us to be. I believe with all my heart that God wants us to be healthy and take care of our bodies because as Christian, we have Christ in our hearts and how can we do what he has called us to do if we are not in the proper shape to do it? I'm not saying if you don't exercise you can't do God's work. What I am saying is that we must take care of what God has given us.

I'm going to kick up my exercise routine and learn more about nutrition. If you have time, blog and let me know what you want to do for this challenge?

On a happier note, Tom has a new job as a trainer so he will be on a day shift now. This means we can attend Wed. night Church together as a family and he will be home more plus no TDY's :) It's an answer to prayer for our family.

3 comments:

Crazy family of 5 said...

I am sorry to hear about your mother! I know we have been better about what we are eating. Lots more fruits and veggies! Not as much fast food either! I wish the best for your mother, and family!!

Christian and Alysia Perry said...

I can't believe your mom was hospitalize! We will definately be praying your family.

As far as eating heathier, I recommend moving to another country :)maybe Mexico :) - access to fast food is more limited and open markets are the only place where people get their fruits and vegetables, which is cheaper and provides less temptations for buying another things.

The downfall (at least for us) is that we don't have a car, so driving up to the mountains on weekends to hike is a little more complicated. Instead, we walk everywhere we go, including an hour and half to work each day, and Christian has been working for his vitamins, literally, by doing 80 push-ups a day. When my schedule dies down, I am hoping to pick up my Pilates class again.

Our Ministry said...

I will pray for your mom and your sick family at this time.