Monday, November 24, 2014

Don't Get Caught...Nail it!

I'm guessing the title of my post has you thinking "hmm..."

No I didn't do anything and no this isn't a blog about how NOT to get caught :)  I am one of six in an ensemble at Church and we are singing "Not That Far" by Point of Grace for Christmas Fest and Christmas Eve.  It is really a beautiful song and a great reminder that no matter how much time has passed, we still celebrate the birth of our Savior.  Singing with these talented women is such a privilege and I'm thankful to be part of this group.  One of our Pastor's, who is helping us with the music, made a very interesting comment.  It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season.  I know exactly what he is talking about and was reminded of a commercial I saw on t.v. recently.  The ad was for a big name store, and it basically was a woman singing she "nailed" Christmas this year by having her house completely decked out with all the latest and greatest in Christmas decorations.  Now, I'm not saying that decking out your home with decorations is a bad thing because we love to decorate for the holidays!  However, I think it's easy to get "caught up" in all of this and become so busy trying to be flashy and vibrant in our decorating, that we miss out on the important stuff.  I know for myself, I enjoy watching our children put the ornaments on the tree.  There are those times, however, when they love to put three red or green balls next to each other and we have to come behind them and switch them around, but who says that Christmas decorating has to be perfect? We're creating memories not winning a contest!

Ok, so where am I going with all of this?  I'm simply saying let's not "get caught" up in all of the hustle and bustle, trying to out-do our previous years of decorating, making sure we bake and ice the perfect cookies, but rather we slow down and ask God to help keep our focus on the season and to calm us when we start getting overwhelmed with all the chaos.

Let's truly "nail" Christmas this year and not miss it!  Let's come together and rejoice with family and friends.  We truly have a reason to celebrate every year and it has nothing to do with who has the biggest inflatable decoration in their front yard, or who has the biggest nativity set.   It's so much more and it all has to do with Jesus and his birth.  It all has to do with Him "nailing" it on the cross.

No comments: