Friday, January 18, 2013

Catching Up

My semester at BCC has started up again, however, I am only taking two classes so I won't be as swamped as I was in the Fall.  I wish things were different and I was able to complete that semester, but I've come to terms with it. 

I received some great news last week....my Lupus is in remission!  I'm very thankful that this has happened because Lupus is a potentially fatal disease.  It may sound strange, but I am also thankful that the Lord allowed me to have Lupus.  I learned so much about myself this past year.  I learned how to take better care of my body, and how fragile and precious health is.  I know that Lupus can come back any day or time, but I am not worried about that.  I did receive a bit of bad news as well.  The numbers for my Rheumatoid Arthritis are way up, which would explain my severe joint pain and fatigue recently.  Out of the two, I would rather have RA be my worst enemy right now.  I can tackle it!  Lupus is more difficult.  I'm staying active these days and eating fresh and light, and I feel so good on the inside.  My favorite snacks are fruit salad, celery with a little peanut butter, key lime pie yogurt, almonds, or a bowl full of carrots. 

Another food change I made has been good for the whole family.  Three weeks ago, I began planning out meals for the week.  I type them up in a Word document, print it out, and post it on the fridge.  Kailey and Natalie will ask me two or three times a day what we are having for dinner.  This way, I can point them to the menu.  It's also made grocery shopping more efficient and organized.  Tom and I were getting tired of having the same old foods for dinner.  The menu idea allows for variety, mainly because you are planning meals ahead of time rather than trying to scrounge something up last minute.  More time for fun and healthy, but yummy, meals is my cup of tea!  More than all this, it prevents eating out, which is a bad habit for us.  We love to eat out but it's just too expensive and the food is loaded with sodium and calories.  I find that cooking for your family from scratch provides so many benefits.  YOU control what goes in the food. 

On that note, I must study and work on the menu for next week! 

No comments: