The title of today's blog comes from watching the movie "Soul Surfer." I have watched this movie with Kailey and Natalie several times, and we love it! What an inspiration for my girl's and a great example of what God can do with your life, no matter what the circumstances.
As I'm typing this, the power is flickering and threatening to go off due to the hurricane. So I have to hurry and make this fast and get my point across.
As many times as I have watched this movie, today it really hit me in a different way. At the beginning of the movie, Bethany backs away from her commitment to a youth group trip to Mexico due to surfing. Her youth group leader tells her that they were counting on her and will miss her. Even her Mom helps her see that her priorities may not be where they should. Then, Bethany is attacked by a shark, loses one of her arm's, and tries to surf again only to briefly give up out of frustration. Next, we see Bethany in Thailand after the Tsunami. Her eyes are completely opened by the pain and suffering of the people. It's in this moment that I think Bethany can see what is outside of surfing. Not that she couldn't before, but like all of us, she got caught up in competition's and training that her focus was shifted.
So one can wonder, did God allow her to be attacked by a shark so that she could see all of this? I don't know about that, but what I do know from personal experience is that in every circumstance and situation of our lives, God CAN and WILL use that to reveal something much bigger than we could ever imagine. For Bethany, maybe she saw that there is a world outside of surfing. God has gifted her with an unbelievable talent to surf, but there is more to her than surfing. Because of her attack and loss of her arm, she has the opportunity to show the world the love of God and what he can accomplish in any circumstance. What a testimony!
So as we go through our own lives and wonder "why did I go through this" or "why did God do this to me," maybe ask the question "what can God show me?" Better yet, PRAY and ask God directly...."what can you show me?"
By the way, if you haven't seen "Soul Surfer" please watch it asap! Also, youtube has some great interview's of Bethany Hamilton and her testimony. I haven't read the book yet but I plan to.
No comments:
Post a Comment